Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...
Akai APC40 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traktor Pro "seek position" assign to APC 40

4 posters

Go down

Traktor Pro "seek position" assign to APC 40 Empty Traktor Pro "seek position" assign to APC 40

Post by braincloud Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:31 pm

I've looked at a lot of TSI files and I don't see any that have a seek position assignment that makes sense.

I DJ a lot of non-club events, and I often have to play new music on the fly. I don't have cue points setup up in advance on all my songs, and I just want to scroll/seek through a track and find the first downbeat, set a cue, and then begin trying to mix. Just like you would on a CDJ. I am using the APC40 and do not have a jog wheel. So I want to assign the seek position to an encoder or a fader or even two buttons for forward and backward if I have to. I have been able to assign "seek position" to both an encoder and a fader, but the resolution makes it impossible to get the cursor on the correct beat. I need finer adjustment. Ideally, a way to search back and forth with both fine and coarse adjustments.

I would greatly appreciate any information about how to set up the APC 40 so I can search through a song and set up a "Cue/Cue Up" point.

thanks.

braincloud

Back to top Go down

Traktor Pro "seek position" assign to APC 40 Empty Re: Traktor Pro "seek position" assign to APC 40

Post by VeraNova Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 pm

you are using the wrong software if you want that functionality from ableton.

you need to prepare all your music in advance,
just get EVERYTHING warped the moment you get it, then so long as you have the warp file in the same folder as the audio you can drag it into the project.

the only way to deal with cue points in ableton though is to duplicate the track and set a new start point, then its on a seperate button on the apc40 and is really easy to work with.
VeraNova
VeraNova

Back to top Go down

Traktor Pro "seek position" assign to APC 40 Empty Re: Traktor Pro "seek position" assign to APC 40

Post by fleater Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm

VeraNova wrote:you are using the wrong software if you want that functionality from ableton.

The Subject says Traktor Pro.......

Have you looked at the NI Forum? Also try to google Traktor Bible....
fleater
fleater

http://soundcloud.com/groups/fleater

Back to top Go down

Post by WonderTripp Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey Wink

It's pretty easy actually!

I've made a simple .tsi file for you to work around it.

I've assigned:

- the Crossfader to direct search.

- the Cue Level knob to relative, precise search. (If you want it to be more or less precise, just change the "Rotary Sensitivity" of the CueLevel knob preferences in the controller mapping in traktor.)

- the Shift button to momentary hold modifier8 value as 1. (You have to keep this pressed to work with the controls. I've made this so that you can use the crossfader. But you can use just any other fader and delete the modifier setings in each parameter.)

- the Shift button to turn on CD Mode.

This is a simple mapping and works with the assigned deck, but there's several ways to make it work with each deck seperatily, just make it the way it fits better to you Wink

hope it helps

TSI File:
http://feupload.fe.up.pt/get/tLUIqrqsS0PRkNR

WonderTripp

Back to top Go down

Post by braincloud Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks WonderTripp, that is really cool of you to take the time to upload that TSI.
I thought perhaps there was a limitation in the midi resolution that would make it impossible to search through a song the way I want, but I was hoping there would be an answer. I'm looking to invest in The Reloop DJ 3,but it doesn't come out until May, and I was starting to think I would have to settle for something else. Really looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers!

braincloud

Back to top Go down

Post by braincloud Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 am

So I loaded your TSI file, and can see the 3 new assignments. They fit perfectly with my present setup with the shift button allowing the dual feature on the crossfader. For some reason though, I can't seem to get the APC to use those new commands. I loaded your TSI, and I also tried transcribing them into my existing TSI. I tried turning off the APC and turning it back on and doing it again, but still the crossfader doesn't operate with the new funcitons even when the shift button is pressed. Is there something I'm missing. I appreciate you not only giving me answers but telling me how to make it work. SOmetimes I need the extra help. ; )

braincloud

Back to top Go down

Post by WonderTripp Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:34 am

Maybe you are not using the AKAI APC40 in dumb mode. Are you?

Either way, I'll try to explain how to do it from scratch no matter what mode you are on Wink

Precise Seek Position:

- add a new control of seek position (Add In... - Transport - Seek Position)
- click "Learn" and move the 'Cue Level' knob
- change "Type of Controller" for "Encoder"
- change "Rotary Sensitivity" to 10%

Global Seek Position:

- add a new control of seek position (Add In... - Transport - Seek Position)
- click "Learn" and move the 'Crossfader' fader =p

Done Wink Now for the
Modifier part:
- add a new modifier (Add In... - Modifier - #'X')
- change "Type of controller" to "Button"
- change "Interaction Mode" to "Hold"
- change "Set to value" to 1 or 2 or the number it suits you (lets call it 'xx')

- In the 'Crossfader' options: change the modifier conditions (Modifier 'X', Value 'xx')
- In the 'Cue Level' options: change the modifier conditions (Modifier 'X', Value 'xx')

- Very imporant: In all other 'Crossfader' and 'Cue Level' events you have or use, change the modifier settings (Modifier 'X', Value 0)

IF YOU WANT THE TWO or FOUR DECK FUNCTIONALITY:

Two decks assignment:

To achieve this, instead of using the shift button, assign different shift buttons for each deck. You can maintain just one modifier, because the actions will be relative to the focus deck.

- add a Deck Focus Select function to these new buttons (Add In... - View - Deck Focus Select)
- change "Type of Controller" to "Button"
- change "Interaction Mode" to "Hold"
- change "Set to Value" to the corresponding Deck

- Now, go to the previously created modifier and click "Learn" and choose the same button you used for Deck Focus Select.
- Duplicate it, click "Learn" and choose the other button you used for Deck Focus Select.

Example1:

'Nudge-'
- Deck Focus Select Set to Value "Deck A"
- Hold Modifier Value

'Nudge+'
- Deck Focus Select Set to Value "Deck B"
- Hold Modifier Value

Extra Function:

For each modifier button, do this:
- Add In - View - Deck Mode CD
- Type of Controller - Button
- Interaction Mode - Hold

Now you hear the beats while you seek Wink

Example2:

'Nudge-'
- Deck Focus Select Set to Value "Deck A"
- Hold Modifier Value
- Hold Deck Mode CD

'Nudge+'
- Deck Focus Select Set to Value "Deck B"
- Hold Modifier Value
- Hold Deck Mode CD

TSI File of the final example Wink :
http://feupload.fe.up.pt/get/V0EsrmToku9nhO0

WonderTripp

Back to top Go down

Post by braincloud Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:54 am

Got it working. For some reason it wouldn't function with Modifier M8. I switched it to Modifier M1 and it works. Not sure what the difference is. I'm still trying to wrap my head around modifiers. I can program things that are straight forward, but adding the correct lights/blinking/etc I am a total failure. But now I have an encoder doing fine adjustment, and sliders for each deck doing the coarse. Really amazing. I think it would still be cool to have a jog wheel so I don't have to hit the shift and use to hands, but I'll take it for now. You are a huge help and a credit to the forums.

braincloud

Back to top Go down

Post by WonderTripp Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm just glad I could help =D
Maybe you could assign the shift buttons to the 'play or 'strop or 'rec button, this way you may be able to do it with one hand because it is close to the crossfader and Cue Level =p or the 'Clip/track button, smthg like that.

Not sure why it doesn't work with M8, that's wierd x)

Anything else I can help with just say it Wink I am learning a lot through forums, so I'm really glad to be able to retribute.

Have fun!

WonderTripp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum