Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...
Akai APC40 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My APC40 Customised Setup - Video Online Now!

2 posters

Go down

My APC40 Customised Setup - Video Online Now! Empty My APC40 Customised Setup - Video Online Now!

Post by S4racen Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:06 pm

Hi guys,

My set up is on a mac with a padkontrol (running farmpad) an APC40 and bomes and lucifer vst....

Anyone else got a similar set-up?

So far i've remapped all of the scene launch buttons to either glitch the audio (like steven vankoffs video) or whilst shift is pressed to choose the launch quantization and then visually display with a lit button what state it's in....

The track selection buttons light up in sequence and allow beat mashing as they allow you to jump (as long as the button is held down) to each individual beat in a 2 bar sequence....

I have all 8 tracks summed to either a A or B track which contains all of my effects and some loopers, when pressing shift and track select one it fires a looper to record then play a 1 bar loop, 2 = 2 bar, 3 = 4 bar and 4 halves the loop.....

To show that the loopers are in action i've used the clip grid buttons, when recording a beat the pad flashes red and when recorded it stays solid red, when the beat is playing the button changes to green, as such you see how long the looper has recorded (up to the first two rows) and where in the loop it's currently playing... When you halve the loop the clip grid changes to represent the new size of the loop being played until eventually you are down to one rapidly flashing green/red button.......

Because this colouring may stop you seeing which clip is actively being played i've programmed it so that the clip stop button lights up oif there is a clip playing in that channel, pressing stop obviously still stops the clip but when shift is held down at the same time it plays the clip last played from the beginning (this is very useful when your trying to play other clips that aren't included in the same red box!)

Activator switches are now hard mapped to select the first rack in each channel, I'm using a rack per track that includes Tarekiths 4 knob eq along the bottom (the allen and Heath emulating one) knobs and then on knob one i've got the twister filter, phaser on two, fade to redux on three and a gain with a compressor so that it doesn't get out of control on 4.....

When when shift is pressed with an activator switch it reverts the controls in that track's rack back to their original state, eg. at full for the eq'ing controls at half for the twister filter controls and at zero for the phaser, fade to redux and gain controls.... This means at the start of a set i can quickly reset all controls back to zero and when playing can bring the track that's been filtered and eqed out of a mix back in bang on a beat.....

solo cue switches do as advertised but with shift pressed they select the clip playing in the track rather than the clip that's highlighted..... I currently split all my tracks up into sections and pre-prepare my loops but i'm sure someone else who plays whole tracks would be able to use this function to implement some in clip looping functionality....

Finally the Track arm buttons are mapped to light up when the track is routed into A or unlit if going to B, i've got A and B mapped to the crossfader as well as i find it hard to give up my old habits! I'm probably going to add a shift function to these buttons to be a quick stab on a send that's got a ping pong and distorting effect rack in it to get some crashes going in sync with the audio......

I've not really touched the buttons on the right hand side of the APC yet (bar the shift button) so has anyone else got any ideas for what i might use these for?

I'll try and record a little video later to show what i mean but for now i'm really missing a tape stop effect that i want to map to the stop all clips button!! Mac anyone???

Cheers
D

EDIT: Video now online!

http://www.vimeo.com/5893737

ps feedback always helps!

S4racen
Admin

http://www.isotonikstudios.com

Back to top Go down

My APC40 Customised Setup - Video Online Now! Empty Re: My APC40 Customised Setup - Video Online Now!

Post by Dirk Bigler Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:17 am

Cant access the video at my work, but will take a look tonight. Good work fella!
Dirk Bigler
Dirk Bigler
APC40 user

Back to top Go down

My APC40 Customised Setup - Video Online Now! Empty Re: My APC40 Customised Setup - Video Online Now!

Post by S4racen Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:57 pm

Dirk Bigler wrote:Cant access the video at my work, but will take a look tonight. Good work fella!

Cheers man, it got picked up by Create Digital Music so i've had over 40 plays in a day... blown away the amount of interest that's out there!

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirk Bigler Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:14 pm

I wont even begin to admit that I understand half of what you have managed to do, but hats off! Got some good ideas from watching that. Brilliant.
Dirk Bigler
Dirk Bigler
APC40 user

Back to top Go down

Post by S4racen Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Just finished the template and Bomes preset and a readme of how it's all configured....

I'll be doing a mass email of the links to the set tommorrow so if you've got an APC40 and want to get a little bit more out of it then pop over to thestudiosessions.co.uk and leave me your email address in the comments and it'll find it's way to you.....

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S4racen Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:55 pm

New video up at www.vimeo.com/studiosessions for all us that still hark a little back to the old days of a DJM600 and a CDJ1000!

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirk Bigler Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:50 pm

I mate, can you send me a copy?
Dirk Bigler
Dirk Bigler
APC40 user

Back to top Go down

Post by S4racen Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Dirk Bigler wrote:I mate, can you send me a copy?

No worries email me direct at darrenecowley@sky.com and i;ll send what you need!

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down