Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...
Akai APC40 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the f**k are the instructions!!!

3 posters

Go down

Where the f**k are the instructions!!! Empty Where the f**k are the instructions!!!

Post by DJ Danny C Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi,
Bought my APC40 on Saturday, not had chance yet to install it but I thought I'd have a flick through the fantastic user manual with all its tutorials, etc....

However, I was a little gutted to find out all it contains is a 2 page quickstart guide with the same repeated as a PDF on the CD!

So basically, can anyone recommend a decent how to guide? or tutorials, etc.? I've never used ableton or any DAW's.

Also, I had the understanding that it came with a version of Live 8; however it appears to only have Live 7 APC ediition - can anyone help here?

Thanks

Dan

DJ Danny C

Back to top Go down

Where the f**k are the instructions!!! Empty Re: Where the f**k are the instructions!!!

Post by S4racen Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Danny,

Welcome to the forum...!

Akai in their wisdom thought that as it was a plug and play device then it wouldn't need a manual....

Given there are so many ways to use it, do you have any specific questions??

The main answers will be....

1, Ensure it's set up as a midi controller as well as a control surface
2, disable the select on launch option in your preferences
3, No that high pitched whining isn't right take it back....
4, Yes much sexier than before...

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

http://www.isotonikstudios.com

Back to top Go down

Where the f**k are the instructions!!! Empty Re: Where the f**k are the instructions!!!

Post by DJ Danny C Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:46 pm

lol!

Not really got any specific questions as I'm a total ableton newbie so I'll bear all those answers in mind. Laughing

I have had a very nice and polite response from Ableton in that users of lite 7 are eligable for a free upgrade to lite 8, so I can just download it from their website.

However...

I currently run a very very crap laptop (craptop?). Will not work Crying or Very sad

Luckily, Santa santa is bringing me a shiny new one cheers

Sadly, he's not coming for another 4 weeks, so my shiny new toy will be sat in the box til then.

Dan

DJ Danny C

Back to top Go down

Post by S4racen Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Bad times, knowing you've got to wait for four weeks!!

My best advice would be to use the time to scour every tutorial on Youtube, read the manual.....

If you're looking for anyone training on it i'd recommend quantizecourses.com i wish they had been around when i started five years ago!!

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Danny C Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:57 pm

Had a look on quantizecourses.com, look good, mega money though! Think I'll go for the free approach for now!

I do have one specific question - can you use or is it worth using a specific hardware DJ controller to DJ using Ableton? As an example would adding a pair of Numark V7s using their midi capability add anything to the setup?

I still fancy a CD player to use just as a backup for if (when?) the computer crashes, so I've been considering something along the lines of Numark's NDX800 (which do CDs and Midi) or is this just a waste of time - is Ableton stable enough to gig with on a PC?

Dan

DJ Danny C

Back to top Go down

Post by S4racen Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:10 pm

I personally have collected many midi devices over the last few years, each birthday and christmas....

I run now with the APC40 heavily programmed sin g max4live, a launchpad controlling effects on the master, and a pair of dicers for the serrate i have running through Ableton....

I've had devices with jog wheels and they haven't really given anything useful in the way of control, if i had my time again i would've invested more time in learning how to customise my controllers using bomes in the early days rather than keep buying in search of the perfect controller....

That said i think the APC40 is close to it, four extra knobs per track for eq control and an x/y pad would make it amazing....

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Danny C Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:33 pm

How customisable is Ableton then - is it worth (and possible to) adding something along the lines of a Korg Nanokontrol or an Akai LPD8 and use their knobs as EQ controls for the current track?

As I say I am new to the system but I did like the look of Riley and Durrant's video on Youtube WATCH!
(And was completely jealous by their Ibiza apartment!)

Following that I was really considering the Vestax VCM600 as it seems to have all the right knobs as standard, just short of clip launch buttons. One of those and a Launchpad looked like a good combo but at £900 quid seemed a bit steep.

So I went for the APC40. If the above is possible could be a cool setup!

Just noticed the korg Nanopad has an XY pad on it!

DJ Danny C

Back to top Go down

Post by S4racen Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:41 pm

I've got a nanokontrol for travelling with, and a padkontrol and love both although they are not in the day to day setup....

I'd concentrate on what you've got before you get more controllers involved, i can run everything off the pac if i want.... The APC gives you eq controls over the current track....

CHeers
D

S4racen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VeraNova Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm

S4racen wrote:
3, No that high pitched whining isn't right take it back....

D

I have a high pitched whining coming from mine :L
is it actually a serious problem or just the power-supply being noisy?
:S

cus if its just a whiny power supply im not gonna bother with contacting akai :L
VeraNova
VeraNova

Back to top Go down

Post by S4racen Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:49 pm

If it's a particular pad thats making the noise i've got a couple of those but if it's the power supply i'd take it back to the shop....

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VeraNova Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:21 am

S4racen wrote:If it's a particular pad thats making the noise i've got a couple of those but if it's the power supply i'd take it back to the shop....

Cheers
D
i havnt actually listened in... but iv had buzzing potentiometers before and im not too worried about it tbh...
VeraNova
VeraNova

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down