Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Akai APC40 Forum
We're just making some changes to the forum so please bear with us as we move the furniture around...
Akai APC40 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibly to change APC clip color after playing clip?

3 posters

Go down

Possibly to change APC clip color after playing clip? Empty Possibly to change APC clip color after playing clip?

Post by weswook Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 pm

I have been searching diligently for a thread on the topic of changing APC clip colors but have come up short on my specific question. My goal is to have my APC pads light up red after I have played the corresponding clip. It would go something like this; the clip would start out orange (unplayed), then I would fire it off and it would become green while playing, then once the clip ends or has stopped it will then turn red. My expectation is that I would need MaxforLive to accomplish this, but am open for any and all ideas. Thanks!

weswook

Back to top Go down

Possibly to change APC clip color after playing clip? Empty Re: Possibly to change APC clip color after playing clip?

Post by RIP_KING Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:27 pm

I know you can change the colors for the various active states using a remote script... Will's template does this and changes non-playing clips to red vs orange. As for having them change to a third color after they are done playing, I would suspect you need M4L to do this, but correct me if I'm wrong. That's an interesting concept though and sounds useful. I was playing an after-party for my friends after Together As One this new years. Needless to say I was severely intoxicated and at one point played the same song twice... one after the next! Color codes would eliminate this type of gaffe I suppose

RIP_KING

Back to top Go down

Possibly to change APC clip color after playing clip? Empty Re: Possibly to change APC clip color after playing clip?

Post by weswook Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks for the input. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your new year's story, I was in the same boat. Additionally I am trying to get as far away from the computer as possible, yet provide a unique mix. The ability to set the computer far off in the distance, mash through my clips and know what remains unplayed would really help me move through my set. Obviously I could cue the songs more diligently before mixing them in, but the post play color change seems like a very usable visual aid.

Are there others out there that have any ideas? Thanks!

weswook

Back to top Go down

Post by RIP_KING Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:15 pm

I generally stagger my clips as I run thru a set. I.E. Track #1 is playing in Deck A in scene one, Track #2 is playing in Deck B in scene two, Track #3 is playing in Deck A in scene 3... Etc.

I then have a 3rd and 4th deck for adding loops, sound fx, acapellas, etc. which remain unstaggered, but I find that staggering my clips as I play them allows me to move linearly down my ableton set using only the APC. Also lets me see which songs and type of songs I've already played. Still need the mouse to drag the songs into order though if I'm doing a non-preplanned set.

RIP_KING

Back to top Go down

Post by S4racen Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 am

Hi there,

If you mean a change of clip colour on the screen once played then this is relatively easy with max4live, as for changing the colour of the APC i'd speak from experience and say relatively impossible because of the number of different ways the APC can flush the data from Ableton... You'd have to rebuild all of the control surface functionality in M4L as a control surface i don't think would be able to recognize if a clip had been played already... Then i imagine it'd just grind to a halt with all the calls to and from the Live API...

Cheers
D

S4racen
Admin

http://www.isotonikstudios.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down